Monday, June 14, 2010

True Love

My husband showed me again the truest form of love over the last couple of months and I wanted to be sure to document it.

We have talked about putting a garden in since we moved into this house. I have attempted a garden in the past at our old house without much luck, but I had high hopes to make one happen this year mainly for the kiddos. They love the thought of planting a garden and I love the thought of teaching them the law of the harvest and the miracles involved in the process.

The first obstacle was a garden plot, though. One day after I worked I went straight to a Girl's Night Out and our neighbor exclaimed, "What in the world was going on in your backyard today?! There were saws flying, wood being cut, nails being pounded. Were you putting up a swing set?" My heart jumped for joy hpoing it was a garden plot, and when I got home it was better than I could have imagined. Steve and our neighbor spent HOURS one Saturday cutting wood donated by our neighbor from his old swing set to make a great looking garden plot. Much better than I had envisioned. Steve was sun-burned and exhausted, and it was one of those times that I knew how much he loved me. All of this work wasn't for his dream! Over the following weeks he worked hard to de-sod the plot, with our help from time to time. It was a lot of work and the whole time I was trying to imagine the pioneers doing this to ACRES of land!


We removed a bunch of the sand that was below the topsoil and filled it with garden soil and compost. This is a picture of the kiddos getting in a free gymnastic lesson while we filled it with soil. It's too bad we had to put up a fence to keep Abby and the deer out. We planted a bunch of seeds and a few tomato and pepper plants from Costco I just couldn't pass up, and everything is taking well so far!

I don't have a picture of the fence we put up around it or the veggies starting to grow, but let me say it is MUCH easier than at our old house. I have yet to run into a snake and there is about 0.5% of the weeds that were in our last plot. Now we are trying to avoid a major hail storm and we should be good to go! We'll keep you updated at harvest time.

2 comments:

Cristi said...

i think steve's a keeper for sure!

Amanda B. said...

Tell Steve he is welcome to come build one of those at my house anytime. :) What an awesome garden spot. Great job Steve!