Monday, January 23, 2012

My Little Helpers




Kali is my little nurturer, little mother, little lover of all things baby.  She has been incredible with Cameron since the day we brought him home from the hospital.  She can soothe him, make him laugh, recognize his needs and always know just what it's going to take to stop his crying.  Trenton is often heard saying, "Kali, what does he need?" or "Kali, could you take him?"

In return I often hear her saying, "Come on Trenton you don't hold him like that to calm him down, just try like this," and then she takes him, bounces him like a pro and makes him one happy baby.


As a 5 year old she flings that little guy over her shoulder with ease and bounces him as if he is her third child.  She is known to make people gasp when she begins caring for him, watching such a little girl haul around, bounce, burp and carry a 15-20 lb baby.  But after about 5 minutes of watching they usually say, "Wow, she is amazing with him."  The other day after Cameron burped, she smiled and said "Oh don't worry Mom, that's not a spit up burp.  I'll tell you when he's going to have one of those."
 She has a special connection with him.  When he was about 5 weeks old she said, "Mom, I can't really explain why I feel this way, but it feels like I've known Cameron for a long, long time."

 She has no problem changing his diapers, feeding him and getting him dressed.

Trenton is also a master helper - not as much in the nurturing department but in the PROTECTING department.  Protecting him from his exuberant, energetic brother who still after almost 7 months has stopped bending the poor baby completely in half, but still thinks it's a great idea to run and throw himself flat on top of Cameron during tummy time, lifting all 4 limbs off the ground, leaving little Cameron making small grunting noises under Blake's weight.  Sigh. Thank goodness for T!

I just had to include this shot of the boys, though.  One day Trenton asked to hold Cameron, and after a bit I looked at the rocking chair from behind to see two baby legs hanging down between Trenton's.  I walked around to the front, and this is the position he had let his 5 week old brother slide to:

I said, "Trenton!" 

In complete oblivion he casually looked over at me and said, "Oh, sorry mom.  Was he sliding down?"

Blake is the kiddo who can make Cameron laugh harder than any of the rest of us.  Cameron is starting to expect it too.  He sees Blake and his face just lights up in anticipation of the fun that will begin.  He smiles from ear to ear and I am amazed that he doesn't even remember almost losing his life at Blake's hands a few minutes prior.  He ADORES his brother Blake. 

It is interesting to note that I have watched Blake climb into the crib with Cameron when he doesn't know I am watching.  He talks to him, sings songs, rubs his face gently and plays little games with him.  He is so good with him only when he thinks I'm not looking :).  If he knows I am watching it is near death experiences for this baby.  It's all about attention.

I love my Little Helpers!

3 comments:

Jenna said...

that picture is priceless! how funny! such a man, right? haha. Protectors, yes. Noticing important details & needs - maybe not so much.

What a doll Kali is! Glad you have a helper!

Mom Alley said...

Kali is just like you. You would love and nurture your siblings, too. Still do. This is so heart warming. Thanks Sweetheart!!!

Amanda B. said...

Is Kali for hire?? Seriously! That's awesome that she is capable of all of that! Changing diapers??! Wow. My girls would never consider it.

And I love the comment about feeling like she's known Cameron for a long time. So very tender and insightful.

Totally agree with the comment from Jenna above. Love that picture of Trenton.