Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Choo-choo Grandma & Everyday Magic

We had a wonderful weekend with Grandma Alley from Laramie. She came down for the weekend and spoiled all of us with her love and help. The kids got confused with two Grandma Alleys (my Mom and my Dad's mom), so Trenton started calling her Choo-choo Grandma because of the choo-choo trains he hears while we're in Laramie. The name has stuck and she's now one of the most magical women in my children's lives. They absolutely adore her, and it has been delightful for me to watch them make the same memories I remember making with her as a child. She has all the patience in the world with them and brings out and points out the best in each child. It helps me as a mother to see my children through someone else's eyes and to watch her enter each of their little worlds to understand them so well. There is a reason she is a Great-Grand Mother.






We enjoyed some time out in the hammock together - Grandma is incredibly willing to try new things. She has more patience for technology than I do - a sharp mind and willing heart. How blessed are we and our children to have her!

Here, little sister...let me help you up.

Steve drove up to Laramie to pick Grandma up, and they stopped on the way home to jump off rocks (the kids beg us to let them do that every time we drive by). They had an absolute blast. It got me thinking...how do we raise them to always love the true miracles of life; the flowers, clouds, bugs, the thrill of jumping off rocks. I don't want to 'pollute' them with our manmade technology, amusement parks, etc., as it concers me that filling their little hearts and minds with those things will push out the love for the simple. No 'super-vacations' yet, as Steve said. As parents it's certainly a time to relish in the everyday magic with our little ones.

No comments: