Monday, July 21, 2008

Happy 29th!

What a wonderful birthday I had, made especially great by having Emily to celebrate with us. It started with sleeping in and delicious breakfast in bed by my wonderful husband. He has modified my family's tradition a bit by providing breakfast to not only the birthday person, but all the children celebrating with the birthday person, so that poor person doesn't have all their favorite breakfast food eaten off the tray by those celebrating with them. He wasn't so sure about this tradition when we first got married (crumbs in the bed, who has an appetite immediately upon being woken, the sharing aspect, etc.) but I think it's growing on him and he is very good at it! It's one of my faovirte traditions -thanks Mom and Dad!


We had a birthday lunch at Aunt Sandy & Uncle Art's house in Littleton, complete with my favorite salad and a cake she had made me! Emily gave me the most wonderful gift...a book of John's mission journal entries about me, our family, service, temples, etc. in his handwriting with a picture next to each one. I couldn't stop crying when I opened it and I read it almost daily. Then Em and I dragged ourselves to the gym almost falling asleep on the way there, but feeling sooo good when we left. We then came home to a yummy ice cream cake from Steve and lots of presents and cards from many friends and family. One of my favorite gifts from Steve are the Southwest giftcards for John Jr's birth! We topped off the day with a visit to The Cheesecake Factory for dinner - YUM - and came home to a spotless house thanks to our wonderful babysitter Rachel! Who could ask for a better birthday?!







8 comments:

Amanda said...

It sounds like you had an awesome birthday!! I love that you went to the gym only to come home to an ice cream cake. :) Happy Birthday! We should be driving through your part of the country sometime in mid-August if you've got the time to hang out with us. Let me know!

Tonia said...

Happy Birthday! It sounds like it was a good day! I'm so jealous that you got to go to the Cheesecake Factory, definitely a favorite of mine (but really, who doesn't love it?).

tami said...

So glad you had a great birthday. I wish I could have stayed longer out there...come to Utah soon! Or Idaho, either way. :)

Audrey said...

Julie-
Sounds like the best birthday! It's been nice reading all your blogs and reading about Emily. She is amazing and seems to be dealing with it all although I know it is still very hard. But it is nice to keep up on her through everyone else's blogs. I know she appreciates and loves you and your family! Thanks again!

Allison said...

Hey Julie! This is Allison Goodrich-I don't know if you remember me from Japan but I have been trying to track you down for a while!! Your family is so cute!! and I hope to be able to stay in touch now!

nathansara said...

hey there. hope you had a great birthday. found your blog from emily's (your grandma gave me the address). we have one also if you send me your email address i will invite you. nsfarrer@xmission.com
hope all is going well. your family is so cute.
Sara (Dayton) Farrer

~Orchideh~ said...

JULIE!!! I LOVE YOU!! YOU"RE AMAZING! ANd beautiful! And fun! ANd wonderful! I love the Allens! You're cool too Steve!! I'm so excited we're blog friends now! Go check out my blog I have a whole post for Luke & Mary's Wedding!

Fritters said...

Happy Birthday, Julie!! I just discovered you blog and I am so excited to catch up with you by reading it!! Sounds like you've been through some hard times. I'm sorry to hear about your brother. Your family is beautiful! Congrats on your latest addition!! Aloha, Kat