Sunday, July 13, 2008

Happy 4th of July!


The 4th has always been one of my favorite holidays. This one was certainly bittersweet for me without our patriot John. His love of country above self will always inspire me. We were so glad to have Emily here to share the day with us. We started the day at our Ward breakfast.


That afternoon Kevin and Sue Fink had us over for a BBQ with their kids and our dear friends Val &Taylor and Heather & Tyson. It was good to be surrounded by people who loved John on a day that reminds me so much of him.



Kevin took Trenton on his first four-wheeler ride. He enjoyed the first part of it...


But decided he'd rather just run behind the four-wheeler on the way back.


My favorite part of the day was going onto the Air Force Academy to watch the fireworks. This was John's home for almost 10 years and I really felt close to him that night being where he'd spent much of his life and where we had made countless memories. We grew up together on this base, with patriotism and gratitude for our country instilled in us by our parents, so it was fitting to spend this holiday there.

We watched the fireworks with (from left:) Tyson, Heather, Me, Blake, Steve, Emily, Val, Sue, and Taylor (taking the picture) Trenton & Kali (sleeping in the car). We just sat and held each other and talked after the fireworks. No one wanted the moment to end.

3 comments:

Tonia said...

I was thinking of all you guys on that day. I knew it must have been a difficult one. You all look wonderful and those pictures of your kids in their matching shirts is just darling!

Tara said...

Steve and Julie,

I am so glad I found your blog. I have gone back and read every post. As I sit here crying, my heart breaks for you and your family. I am so sorry to hear about your brother.

I am inspired by your strength. I love your hero posts.

Your kids are adorable. What a great family you have.

Much love to you, Tara

Amanda B. said...

Julie-

Cute picture of your 3 kids together! I'm so glad you got to spend the 4th at the Air Force Academy. That will always remind me of John too and the time that we went to the football game there with your family. Hope you are enjoying Emily. We miss you and think about you often.