Monday, December 28, 2009

Big Breakfasts

Whenever we ask little Trenton what he wants to be when he grows up he replies, "A firefighter."  Which in and of itself is a noble profession, but the first time he said that I was slightly surprised and asked why.  He got a big grin on his face and said, "because they make big breakfasts!"  He has a video about firefighters and it shows how they cook for each other at the firehouse.  One meal they show is a breakfast of eggs, hashbrowns, sausage and toast.  For two years now this has been his aspiration - to be a firefighter so he can get a big breakfast.  This little boy LOVES a good breakfast and a couple things he's said to me this week have cracked me up.

This past summer we stayed at the La Quinta during a wedding where they do have exceptionally good, hot breakfasts. He thinks it is absolute heaven, because I let the little guy go to town when we're there - anything he wants: sausage, eggs, waffles, muffins, juice, sugar cereal, fruit, you name it, he eats it.  I think he dreams about it, and whenever we pass a hotel he shouts out, "Look a hotel!  Can we stay, Mom?  Please?" Today he opened a Christmas card with $5 from Choo-choo Grandma and ran it up to his piggy bank.  I asked what he was saving it for and he replied, "To stay in a hotel...so I can have their big breakfast!" 

When we flew home from Seattle yesterday (more to come on that trip), the pilot let him sit in the cockpit, push buttons and make an announcement to the plane.  He came back to our seat just glowing and I asked him if he wanted to fly planes when he grew up.  He pursed his lips together and slowly said, "Well, I bet they have big breakfasts at the airport before they fly, so yes...I could do that when I grow up."

3 comments:

Amanda B. said...

Glad you made it home safe. LOVE the story about Trenton. I'm still giggling.

Anonymous said...

That is so cute! If only all of life's decisions were so easy to make! :0)

Mom Alley said...

Are you home? Uncle Luke wanted to be a fireman when he grew up, too!