Sunday, April 25, 2010

On the Road...

I have out of blogging land for a while due to our EXTENSIVE travels lately. As a family we logged over 3,000 miles of driving in the last month. The kids are pretty good travelers and we've figured out a system for long trips, but I'm glad to be home! We had so much fun on our three trips and the timing just happened to squish three great trips into 4 weeks. Our first trip was to see my family over Spring Break...


We started by spending the night at my Grandma's house in Laramie, where she spoiled us with all of her love and a 'big breakfast' made especially for Trenton. She always made me feel so individually special as a child, and I can't get over how blessed we are to have her doing the same for our children, a generation later, and how it just boosts their little self-esteem.


I-80 opened in time for us to make it to Luke's birthday party that night with Emily and Johnny, Mom & Dad, Anna, Ryker, Luke, Mary & Paul, JeVonne and Raquel. It was a great night.

Kali couldn't wait to hold Raquel!

Of course, Kali counted down the minutes until she and Anna could have Girl Time!!!

On Monday Trenton and Kali stayed with their cousins at Tina and John's house and had a blast, while the rest of us drove to Aunt Adeline's funeral. She was 91 and the last living sibling of the Alley kids, my Grandpa Alley's sister. It was neat going back to my roots and hearing about the Alley Cowboy Compensatory Power. The Alleys grew up on a ranch without much, but all proved very successful in life. My Grandpa, for example, earned his Doctorate and taught at the University of WY. They mentioned how Adeline and all Alley women have 'Compensatory Power' like the horses on the plains that weren't pampered in life, so they grew up to be much stronger and eventually successful than those who were given everything in life.


We saw Anna win first place in the long jump at her track meet - sweet!

And we spent time with Em and Johnny at their beautiful new home. A little cousin love!

We squeezed in a visit to Great Grandpa McDonald, but had to end up limiting our visits as Blake got a ridiculous cough that would last all night long. I was exhausted by the end of the week with no sleep due to his coughing, but don't regret one minute of going out there. Dad and Mom treated us to Chinese food the last night and I looked around thinking how I just didn't want to leave my family. It was a great trip!

2 comments:

Mom Alley said...

We were so happy to have you. Glad Blake and Kali are feeling better and you are back to the ole grind. See you again soon! :)

Amanda B. said...

What a neat, meaningful trip. I loved reading about the Alley Cowboy Compensatory Power. It's easy to see that you've inherited their strength and determination.