Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Puppy Love

We welcomed the newest member of our family on Monday, Abby Allen and we are in love! She is a Havanese - the breed of dog we've been planning on getting for years, and for good reason! She is smart, loving, patient with the kiddos, hypo-allergenic, does not shed and really a delight to have around.


I finally gave into a dog for countless reasons, but mainly it's for my children. When asked to draw a picture of their pet in Kindergarten I watched Trenton draw a picture of his 2 fish on his dresser that died a year ago. That made me a bit sad. I read children's reports on "Why I am Lucky" and saw most of them listing a pet. Then there was the well child visit with the pediatrician asking: "And how many pets do you have?" "None," I answer firmly, and she puts her pen down and stares at me... "None? None at all" She studies my face for a minute then says, "Wow." And it went on and on. So when Steve suggested it, I went back and forth on it for months. My plate is pretty full with kiddos, work, volunteering, family/friends and church and I wanted to give her the best home possible. But thanks to lots of help from Steve it's been awesome - and she is so precious!

We love her in our own ways:

Blake - His low manly voice goes up about 3 octaves when he says "Hi Abby, Hi Abby, Hi Abby." He is constantly asking to "pepper" (pet her) and for the most part has been very gentle with her. She changes his tears to a big smile in about 2 seconds. It's magic.


Kali - She thinks her baby has finally arrived and insists on carrying her EVERYWHERE, rocking her, covering her with a blanket when she's asleep, and attending to her every need. I know when Kali has her she will be watched like a hawk (and will have wood chips, etc. taken out of her mouth without a problem). She shows her off like a newborn also, a proud little mama. Calls her Abby Cottonball.

Trenton - In 48 hours Abby already knows him as her playmate and loves to run around the yard with him. I think she's slightly relieved Trenton doesn't care to carry Abby ANYwhere, and he constantly is telling Kali "Just put her down and leave her alone for a minute!"

Mom - My first dog EVER (After being married for 10 years Steve asks: 'did you really not have a dog growing up?!')! After the first sleepless night was rescued by Dad who took came home from work to save the day & help train Mom/Abby in all ways puppy. I am amazed how horrible the first night was (non-stop yelling/barking/yapping missing her family of course) to how well she has now adapted to her crate with a little bit of loving guidance. Didn't hear one little yap in just 24 hours - way to go Abby! Love how my children absolutely light up with her, and love how soft and cuddly she is. Grateful for all the puppy advice from friends and family. Love that she is doing so well with potty training, has taken great to her crate and special room (our pantry with a baby gate & toys to keep her safe and happy when I am otherwise occupied) and love that she loves me. Especially am grateful for Dad asking me to please wake him up so he can get her if he doesn't hear her calling, for the much needed first day 'nap,' taking her to her first vet appt and teaching me in his patient way.


Dad - Taking the lead in an expert way with our new little one. Researching and making the puppy transition delightful. Thank you!!! I loved watching her fall asleep on his chest. As I cannot claim one ounce of this sweetheart as my idea, except that I didn't forcefully put my foot down at the suggestion; I must say father knows best.

6 comments:

Marielle said...

Cute, cute, cute!!! Now you have to bring her on family vacations so Tiger can have his own special buddy! You're a good Mom Julie. Don't know if I could/would :) do it at this stage, but your kids are sure lucky! Love you guys!

Mom Alley said...

Didn't TB (The Bird), fish, a rabbit, and insects count as pets? Somehow you did learn some responsibility for living things while you were growing up. Now you get to try to teach your little ones, too. Glad you are loving and caring for little Abby. We would love to have Abby visit sometime but Chase may not be very nice. Love you all!!!

Jenna said...

Very cute puppy! Sounds like she has a great loving family!

edenseve said...

You are so wonderful to overlook your perfectly understandable reservations about this big undertaking for the sake of your little ones. Another reminder to me of what an amazing mother you are. And I'm so glad that you're finding joy with that little darling yourself. She will be such a delightful addition to your family.

Jeanne Alley said...

I could hardly believe your Mom's report that you had added a puppy to your family. I was still reflecting on your "love and devotion" to Chase.:):)
Love you so much!
Grandma

Amanda B. said...

I can't pinpoint what I was more touched by- your bravery at agreeing to a puppy, or the supportive, praise you gave Steve as you wrote this story. I love to watch your relationship as it is such a great example to me. Good luck with Abby!!