Sunday, May 29, 2011

Father Knows Best

Being 4 weeks away from delivering our fourth baby I had some definite ideas of how to spend our Memorial Day weekend. They included things such as assembling the bassinet, taking down wallpaper, washing baby clothes, organizing, etc. Steve also had some ideas about how to use the weekend.

Which included not one of my ideas.

Since he had put so much time into working on the house and projects for the past few months, surviving my two 12's a week from dawn to dusk with kids and work, and has pretty much been a rock star of a husband this pregnancy there was no way I could ask him to implement my ideas. So we went with his idea - a much needed get away as a family.

He first mentioned camping, which to be quite frank at this point in my pregnancy sounded about as fun as a root canal. So when he called and said he found a condo in the mountains for a killer deal I was thrilled! It had a full kitchen, 2 bathrooms, a private hot tub and was close to stores, lakes, and trails. Steve told the kids this is the kind of camping we do when Mommy has a baby in her tummy :). I married a good man.


We got here and the kids wasted no time hopping in the hot tub after Steve had cooled it down a bit.


We've done some hiking in these gorgeous mountains.


And of course, some fishing.





Our worm lover of the family turned out to be Miss Kali, who especially loved to torment her two brothers who had no interest in holding those worms whatsoever!


We drove up to Lake Granby and found a beautiful place to fish and hang out. This was our big catch for the day.





Steve is a fan of catch and release, thank goodness, so after pictures, holding and hook removal, we sent the little guy back into the lake. Trenton was very concerned the whole time he was out of water we weren't getting him back quick enough, so when we finally released him Trenton giggle with relief, "OK little buddy! There you go. Have a good life." He flipped belly-up rather quickly but his little gills were still breathing away so we told Trenton he was probably playing dead for a minute and would get swimming away pretty soon. Well Trenton is my little tender heart and kept speaking encouraging words to the fish. A minute turned to several and my hopes for a catch-and-release were fading fast. Trenton stayed with his little guy, following him down the shore where the wind blew him. I knew we were going to have trouble when I saw some seagulls began to circle.

Nature wastes nothing. It was one of those natural consequences you want to protect your kids from but can't - I suppose shouldn't - and while Steve was snapping away I heard Trenton's heart break as he shouted:

"THAT'S WHAT YOU GET FOR PLAYING DEAD FOR SO LONG!!!"

I haven't stopped laughing at that line.






This bird had no desire to share the feast and I imagine he may have a bit of a stomach ache.

We had the whole 'circle of life' talk to which Trenton had no interest. Kali tried to talk to Trenton afterwards and he was too upset to have a discussion.

"Kali, when you see something so upsetting like that you just don't feel like talking, ok?! I just wish every animal would just be a vegetarian." I heard him mumble about fruit and nuts for quite a while after that :).

The shore made for some nice down time.










Sun and sand had us all tuckered out when we got home.






I love these kiddos so much and especially love their Daddy who makes fabulous memories and magical moments for our family.

Who needs a bassinet anyway?

6 comments:

Marielle said...

Looks like so much fun! LOVED the fish story! ;) Can't wait for another cute, fun, kind Allen kid in this world! Keep us updated. Love you guys.

edenseve said...

How I love that little boy! And his brother, and his sister, and his mom and dad! Not to mention the little acrobat inside. Thank you so much for sharing these special experiences, Julie. I am still giggling.

Jeanne Alley said...

My tender hearted Trenton! How he reminds me of his Uncle John's tender care of the bleached mouse that ran through the clorox washing yet came out alive some years ago. Grandma Alley can fill you in on those details.
Kali will be getting a reply from me for her "pretty pictures" Choo Choo Grandma received today. I really needed something to make me happy (will fill you in another time).

Cristi said...

Julie, I just enjoy your blog so much! Thanks for sharing in such the wise way you do!

Jenna said...

love your get-away memorial weekend! Looked like a blast!

Jeppson Clan said...

We are chuckling out loud and can imagine the fish story perfectly. Glad you got to have such a special get away, and also how fun that you got to go to your sister's graduation! You are quite the traveler! :)
Tell Steve we are putting our freezer to good use!