Sunday, November 2, 2008

Strength


I was honored to witness the birth of John & Emily's beautiful baby boy on October 20th. Emily let us know she was in labor Sunday morning. I was at work and Steve was at church, but we've never gotten on the road so fast in our lives! Poor Steve went home to pack with all the kids (which I was going to do the next day - darn it!) and I handed off my patients to my coworkers. We were on the road within 30 minutes with lots of love and prayers from the ward and my coworkers at the hospital. The kids were so excited to meet Baby Johnny.

Emily had labored for almost a day by the time we got there that night. She stayed at home for most of the labor and I got to be part of a special team made up of Sharon (Emily's mom), Tami (Emily's sister) and myself, to help Emily get this special baby boy here. I realized between the three of us we had birthed 15 babies, but this one was like no other. I have never witnessed such strength.

It was like a dance - peacefully floating in and out of the room, supporting Emily through each contraction. Each of us knew our roles and quietly took turns by Emily's side. She chose to do hypnobirthing and all who worked with her were witness to her strength and grace. I witnessed the strength my brother gave his sweet wife through the veil. I witnessed the strong bond of a sister's love. I witnessed the comfort of a mother's voice and the strength of a mother's prayer, answered by a doctor who performed a miracle turn. I witnessed the strength of Baby Johnny who handled a long, stressful labor with no problem. Finally, I witnessed the supreme strength of a mother's love when John Harold Alley Jr. was placed in his mother's arms. After a 2 day labor all time stood still for Emily as she laid eyes on the perfect angel she'd created with her eternal companion.



A sister's love, as they both saw Baby John for the first time.




Grandpa Alley (my dad) who waited hours in the hall of the hospital to meet his grandson.


Boy, do we have a story to tell you!

The kids were enthralled with their new cousin,
but wondering 'why won't he wake up more to play!?'

Meeting Uncle Steve



5 comments:

Emily said...

Oh, Jules! You have me in tears! What would I have done without you?! I know that John would throw his arms around you and tearfully express his appreciation to you for being there for me, if he could. I will never forget this experience. And I will never forget the selfless support of you and Steve. I will love you FOREVER! Being sealed to John was full of wonderful surprises - one of which being that you and I are family forever.

Audrey said...

I too am in tears. What an amazing experience that you were able to be a part of! Thank you for writing that and for the pictures!

nathansara said...

Hi Julie. Thank you for posting about Emily. I will be sure to show my Mom. You brought me to tears again with how you told the story of Johnny's birth. Thank for sharing. He is so adoreable.

Sara (Dayton) Farrer

Tonia said...

Gosh Julie, did you have to write that so beautifully? I'm another one in tears! I'm sure that was an amazing miracle to witness and I'm glad you were able to be there. I love the pictures you posted, it was all just perfect!

~Orchideh~ said...

OH MY GOODNESS!!!! I AM SOOOO EXCITED! I love babies, I want to meet him!!