Saturday, March 28, 2009

Happy Birthday Little Brother

Well, Brother - Happy 27th Birthday. I miss you. I had 26 wonderful years with you as my brother and my best friend. I miss our countless late night talks. I miss being inspired by you every time we talked. I miss sharing a purpose in life we both had set since we could talk - you being a pilot and me being a nurse. I miss sharing our dreams of changing the world, visiting you and Emily each place you were stationed, & of our kids growing up together as cousins. I try to focus on the 26 great years we had...

Thanks for letting me "mother you" for so many years.

Thanks for being a great Uncle. You're kept alive in this house . Trenton begs every night for a bedtime story about Uncle John - he hears all about your dream to become a pilot, working hard in school, serving a mission. I so looked forward to you teaching him about patriotism, the great outdoors, sports...and I realize you still will.

I can't even tell you how hard it is to go back to the Air Force Academy. Between our 6 years growing up there and your 4 years attending, the Academy brings you flooding back. I'll never forget football games, marching out of Jack's Valley, playing in the forest, taking pictures for Ring Dance & graduation.

I'm sorry I threw you a welcome home luau. I know it drove you crazy that we were all sitting around laughing and playing when there was so much good in the world to be done! I should have realized you would have much preferred a welcome home service project ;).

I have no idea how you made so much family time for us while you were at the Academy - we saw you most weekends which was an amazing feat.

We are not complete without you - there's a big hole left in our family, but I know the last thing you would want would be for us to sit around moping. So I just want to let you know I am trying to make the most of life like you would want, setting goals and achieving them the way you always lived your life.

At your funeral, Emily's mom whispered in my ear, "Now it's his turn to watch over you." And I know you and Grandpa Alley are together, doing just that.

I love you, bro.

6 comments:

Tonia said...

Big hugs to you. I'm sure this is another especially rough time.

Emily said...

As difficult as it is to be separated from John, my life is still constantly enriched because of my marriage -- I have you, and the rest of your family. I love you and being sealed to you brings me such comfort. Thank you for the beautiful post, and the great pictures.

Amanda B. said...

happy birthday to john. what a sweet tribute.

i really need to call you. thank you so much for the package. you are an amazing friend and it meant so much. talk to you soon.

KT said...

What grace you have. To always recognize your loss in such poignant and beautiful ways is a tribute to the great bond you and John will always have. Please if this week is tough let me know- espescially since I get to be your Visiting Teacher again- YAY for me!

nathansara said...

That was a sweet post and fun to see pictures of you guys growing up together. Thank you for sharing your feelings.

Sara (Dayton) Farrer

Jeanne Alley said...

As always, my sweet Julie Jeanne, you have expressed your feelings that I share but can only seem to keep inside. Indeed the last few days I have been adding to my "Tear Soup" from both your beautiful posts and Emily's. You both as well as everyone in our family are so very special to me and how grateful I am to have the promice of an eternal family. I love the pictures both of past times and present times (your fun in the snow that we just talked about on the phone now so vivid with snaps).
Abounding Love, Grandma Alley