Thursday, January 28, 2010

My Piano Man

Trenton had his first piano recital this month. I guess it's a landmark date as the first recital/performance of any of our children, the first of many to come. Trenton really seems to enjoy his lessons. He often practices unsolicited and just plays for enjoyment. I just love watching him grow a love for music. He had a blast at the recital - today he said, "I can't wait to have another one of those nights where everyone plays their special, picked out music pieces and plays them. That was awesome!"

I attribute this comment to a few things, mainly his teacher's wisdom:

1. The Ice Cream bar at the end to celebrate. He raved about this for days.

2. She divide her students into two groups, so there were only 7-8 students to sit through. The whole things lasted 45 minutes, perfect for the student's attention span.

3. He played his numbers flawlessly. Thank goodness. The final practice before the recital was rough, to say the least. It went something like this:

Trenton: "Mom, I can't play this 'piano' like it says!!! Our piano won't let me do it!" with tears streaming down his face. Our piano was a generous gift, but is not quite as sensitive to the touch as his teacher's (which cost more than any of her cars!), so when he tries to play quietly the strings are not always hit, therefore no sound is emitted.

Me: "Well, honey maybe you could just practice it mezzo-forte and then at the recital play it quietly."

T: "WHAT?! Are you kidding me? It does not say mezzo-forte here; it says piano! How can I practice it middle when it say SOFT! Do you not know this? Mom!"

M: "Honey you play all the notes perfectly, you can just play it quietly during the recital."

T:"Mom! This is NOT PERFECT! Middle is not perfect! Augh!" At this point writhing on the bench, red faced with tears streaming away.

So you can see why I was a little nervous, to say the least, when his turn at the piano came. But thank goodness for lots of practicing and for a very expensive piano that plays 'piano' at the right level for my little boy. The night was a success.

4 comments:

Mom Alley said...

Julie you just got right up and played at your first recital. How can your baby be at his first recital already. No, no do not grow up so fast. Wish I could have been there. Congrats!

Jeanne Alley said...

This completly explains the pauses and finally giving up to any possiblility of answering my rapid array of questions about his recital beyond the "ice cream bar". He is such a little perfectionist. I hope he will play for me.
Love, Grandma

Cristi said...

The girls will definitely think it's attractive for him to play the piano! what a cutie!

Grandpa Alley said...

Way to go Trenton. You are an awesome young man.

I love you ... Grandpa Alley.