Monday, March 15, 2010

Ethiopia, here I come...

I love being enlightened about other cultures and a discussion with a co-worker the other day did just that. This girl was my very hard working nursing assistant, about my age, and had 3 children 6, 4, & 2. We began talking one night I was working and she said she wanted to go home so bad. I asked her where home was and she replied Ethiopia. I ignorantly raised my eyebrows at this, but wanting to know more I asked her why she wanted to go home. And her answer made me drool with jealousy.

Merlan (my Nursing Assistant): Why do I want to go home? Well, because we have servants in Ethiopia. They cost practically nothing and EVERYONE has them.

Me: Seriously? They are just a way of life? No!

Merlan: Oh, yes. No one I grew up with didn't have a servant - it's just how it is.

Me: So you had someone living with you helping with the children, cooking, cleaning-

(she interrupts me)

Merlan: Oh, no, no, no. One servant could not handle all of that...

(At this point any guilt I'd had about not keeping up with laundry, bills, cooking, children, etc began to melt away)

Merlan: You have one to take care of the children, one to do the cleaning and laundry and one to do the cooking. It would be ridiculous to have one person trying to do all of that.

(Ridiculous is exactly the word I would use for it too!!!)

Merlan: And you live near your family so everyone helps everyone. It is so wonderful. I miss it so much. When we go back we save up and try to visit for 3-4 months. You certainly can't make make money over there like you can here. (Yes, there is that minor detail)

Me: Hmmm...so tell me something. My husband has hired housekeepers to come a few times and every time they come I am torn between how guilty I feel for having them there and how absolutely wonderful it is. I shouldn't be feeling guilty, should I?

Merlan: Are you kidding me?! Don't you feel another ounce of guilt! A few times in 10 years of marriage - that is nothing! We have help every minute of every day. You need more help!

I think I was beginning to drool with jealousy at this point - fully aware of what I would not have in Ethiopia, and of course being very grateful to be in America - simply imagining for a teensy minute that most beautiful aspect of Ethiopia my eyes had been opened to. Wow. Just imagine.

Well, I'm off to mop the floor, put away 3 loads of laundry and take out the trash for trash day tomorrow, since the kids are finally in bed (done by yours truly) and the meals are cleaned up and leftovers put away (yes, also done by myself).

Ethiopia's sounding nice.

Goodnight.

4 comments:

Mom Alley said...

We loved our maids in Portugal and Japan. I miss that, too. Just think of the blessings...well keep thinking and tell me when you get the answer.

Amanda said...

Can I come with you? I'm sure the servants wouldn't mind a couple more kids to look after and a few more dishes to wash and a few more mouths to feed. We can pool our resources so we can stay extra long! Sounds like a plan.

Jenna said...

Haha. Love this story!

Marsha said...

As long as kid snuggle time is still mine! I don't want to hire that one out! How are you?