Thursday, June 30, 2011

Babies at our house




This spring we were lucky enough to have some sweet little robin babies hatched on our front porch. The kids loved watching the mommy robin get worms for the babies and listening to them chirp away as she hunted and fed them. The mommy robin didn't like us watching so much and would sit not too far from her nest angrily chirping away whenever we approached. The first picture is a good example of her all puffed up and warning us to stay away from her babies. We didn't watch them too much, but on occasion would climb up to see their progress.

One day we had friends visiting and thought it would be fun to see the robins. I told the kids we could look at them and before I had a chance to regulate the viewing, the kids (5 boys and Kali) were out the front door. Well, little did I know it was the day the robins would leave the nest. I heard the kids yelling excitedly and as I started to waddle (being 9 months preggo) outside I heard cars honking away. I hurried out the front door and sure enough all the kids were in the street; the young ones were chasing these poor baby robins and the older ones were trying to get the young ones out of the street. Not to mention there were 3 cars stopped for the whole fiasco.

I waddled out to the street concerned about 1- the 6 children in the middle of the street 2 - the 3 poor baby robins hopping around trying to work their little wings, absolutely defenseless against Blake and company who found more excitement and thrill the closer they jumped by these baby birds. An observant neighbor walking by said, "boy, you've got your hands full!" Thank you very much, yes.

I rounded up the little ones and the mommy robin was LIVID! She was chirping away like I'd never heard. I hurried my little ones back in and left her to round up her little ones, hoping she'd figure out how to get them out of the driveway and across the street back to where she was going to feed them.

I went out about an hour later and she had managed to get them to safety, where I snapped a picture of one of the babies in the tree. She started hollering at me again so I wished them the best and hurried back in.

We loved our spring babies!

1 comment:

Jeanne Alley said...

Love the story of your "spring" babies. What a wonderful lesson for your kiddos and friends. Loved the comment of your neighbor who was passing by. Yes, your hands are full, but isn't it wonderful! To think you were up so early to make this post just a few short hours before all the drama ahead, wow!