Sunday, June 22, 2008

Practice Triathalon

So I was training for a sprint triathlon before John passed away. Our ward is doing it, and I am using it as a motivation to keep moving. I decided John would be very disappointed if I gave that up. So we had a practice on Saturday - half of the distance of each event, and I am grateful to be alive. The reservoir we swam in was the equivalent of ice water and I swam the entire distance with my face above water, as each time I stuck my head in the ice water I got the wind knocked out of me. All my weeks of practicing technique, breathing and strokes went out the window. I was in doggy paddle survival mode. On the bright side, there is no way the real thing could be worse...I have only one way to go from here - up!

3 comments:

Amanda said...

I've been wanting to do a triathlon for ages. I'm glad you didn't give up training for it. I agree that John will still want you accomplishing your goals and moving forward. I have never swum in open water, and I'm not sure I ever want to. It kind of scares me to not have that nice blue stripe on the bottom telling me where to go.

Tonia said...

Very impressive! Good job and keep it up.

Amanda B. said...

Wow! I'm feeling like a total underachiever because I had my baby 3 months before you and I couldn't even run a 5k right now! I'm TOTALLY impressed! Keep us posted on the progress.

P.S. I have a terrible confession that I ate the chocolate out of your diaper bag. :)