Thursday, October 15, 2009

Summer Synopsis

I was looking back at our summer pictures and realized there were many great things we did this summer I didn't get a chance to write about with the move and such. Since I do this mainly for our family journal/family history, I want to forewarn you this may be boring, but I want to catch up on some of the highlights.

We were blessed to be able to go to two weddings this summer - they were both wonderful! My cousin Courtney got married in Casper, WY. They had planned an outdoor wedding; actually dreamt of it their whole lives, but at the last minute the storms rolled in and we did the wedding inside. They both handled the disappointing change so well and plan on eventually renewing their vows on the mountain.

Anna and I were bridesmaids and little Kali was the flower girl. Oh, was she in heaven! And she did a great job - darling as ever. I can't remember when so many people had SO much fun at a wedding. The DJ was fabulous - he said he'd done it for 11 years and he was 16. He helped his dad for years and it showed. He let Trenton sit with him all night and help him put on an incredible party. What a BLAST! It was so fun to be with Aunts and Uncles and Grandparents - truly a family reunion for us.





We also were blessed to be able to travel up to Seattle for Steve's cousion/sister Jenna's wedding to Wes. It was such a treat to be with the McDonalds and witness their love, organization and teamwork. We learn so much from them each time we're there. This first picture is Wes leading us in a Thriller rendition. It was sweet. The chocolate fountain tradition instead of a wedding cake is definately one I'll push my kids to embrace :). And I LOVED that Jenna wore her mother's BEAUTIFUL wedding dress. Isn't she stunning?!



I managed to squeeze in training for the Parker Ward Triathlon this summer. I am completely addicted by the way. I think I went into it thinking, yup I can do this, I did it once and survived. I might not have trained quite enough; I tell you I was so glad to see that toilet paper finish line! I left out the pictures of me doing the backstroke, catching my breath :).


We started a summer tradition this year we will definately keep up. I took the kids out to UT for 2 weeks by myself. We missed Steve horribly, but were able to spend such great time with family and friends. I think next year Steve might come out for a few days then fly back before us. 2 weeks is too long!
We went to the single least expensive carnival I have been to in my life for Pioneer Day in Bountiful. What a family friendly place. I love it. We met up with Steve's sister Tina & her kiddos and Emily and Johnny.

Grandpa cleared every evening the second week to spend time with us. THANK YOU! One night he met the kids to take them on a train ride, then suprised them by taking them to Chuck E Cheese. They still talk about this special night with Grandpa.

Every day is a heaven day at Aunt Tina & Uncle John's house. Here are all the cousins plus some neighborhood kids getting ready to swim in the lukewarm hot tub. They loved it!

Grandpa & his Boys

Grandma & her Girls

For FHE we drove up to Snowbasin (where my dad teaches skiing) and went on a hike - a short hike with Anna's broken ankle :( and three little ones. It was absolutely stunning. Next year Dad and I decided we are going to the top!


Back to the favorite house of Aunt Tina & Uncle John's. They have worked their way to being practically self-sustaining with the addition of 10 chickens and their magnificent garden. Tina helped the kids hold chickens and I just drooled in awe of the garden.

We had a blast practicing our painting skills at JeVonne & Paul's house. Luke, Mary, Mom and Emily even pitched in to help get rennovations done before their little baby girl arrived in August. What a project they undertook - wow. My favorite line was walking into the backyard to see JeVonne, 9 months pregnant, cutting 20 lb tiles in 95 degree weather and she says, "Don't tell my mom."
Kali had a blast doing all things girly with Anna - how forever blessed my kids are to have such a hands on, fun-loving aunt. They ADORE her!
One of our favorite days was when we got to have Johnny over for a day. Kali and Blake were in heaven loving on this little guy. So was I.
John and Em's anniversary was the day after we arrived in UT. I was planning on suprising her on her doorstep, but that plan got foiled (it's OK Mom, I know you were just really excited we were coming). She had the whole day planned out and part of that included dinner at the Roof Restaraunt where she (and I) went the day she was propsed to. (I did not go to the Roof the day she was proposed to - only the day I was proposed to ;)). It was a touching night, especially hearing John's 6 page version of their engagement story she found on his laptop almost a year after he died. That's a treasure.
Mom had so many fun things planned. This is the kiddos at the Children's Museum. They loved it and I loved watching Kali doing all things medical.

I don't have great pictures to post about my other two favorite events of the Summer of 2009 - having our mommies come out. My mom came out twice to help us move twice. Wow, that was not a bad dream - we really did move twice (shiver). I don't know what we would have done without her. Literally. She cleaned, played with kids, helped pack, helped unpack, got lunches and dinners, sotcked the new house with the essentials and essentially kept me sane. It was like she'd done it a few times in her life.

Steve's mom also came out at the end of the summer. Thanks goodness. I was training for the triathlon, getting ready to take the family to Courtney's wedding, throw the bridal shower, move in and start a new calling. It was about midnight on Saturday; we were frosting 50 cupcakes for Cupcake Sunday (to celebrate all the birthdays for the month in our youth group) and she turned to me and said "Are all your weeks like this?" No, thank goodness they are not, but I was so grateful she was here! She brought a suitcase full of bow making things, had me pull down Kali's fall/winter wardrobe and we made the most darling bows to match everything. Kali gets compliments all the time. She cooked the most amazing meals all week, kept the kitchen spotless, loved the kids to death and spoiled us rotten.

Aren't Moms the best?

If you made it to the end of this bit of our history, just know I will sleep better at night having written about this fabulous, blessed summer.

4 comments:

kellie said...

Summers are awesome. You packed a lot in. Looks like good times!!!

Mom Alley said...

Great synopsis of a fantastic summer. Glad we got to be a part of it.

Jamie said...

Jules, you look absolutely beautiful in the pictures from your cousin's wedding and I LOVE that pic of Kali and Blake...so priceless!

Amanda B. said...

You guys did have such a busy summer. Great job on the triathalon! You're amazing. It was fun spending time with you while you were here. Any plans for the holidays?

P.S. Did you guys get tons of snow??? I heard that CO got dumped on!